Evaluation

Throughout this module I feel I have made a lot of progress as a designer and developed my working practice to a higher standard than previous years. I took on a lot of briefs which I feel at times was a benefit to me, but at other times I feel I should have been more selective with my brief choices due to timing issues. This would have let me focus more on finishing certain briefs to a higher standard, such as my fairytale book. If I would have had more time (either allocated more time for the brief, or had less briefs) I feel I would have created a more refined end product. I would have also like to have more time to develop my zine as I feel it needed more detail and would have liked to create a more substantial publication. With timing in mind, I feel with some briefs I created quite good final products, such as the lampshade brief and the tea towel brief. With the tea towel brief, I knew there was a short deadline, which motivated me to generate imagery quickly and efficiently, while planning every part of the brief before starting it so I knew to plan certain things to be finished at certain times. With the lampshade brief, I allowed a longer time period as I wanted to experiment more and I feel this allowed me to explore the subject, materials and processes further. I would like to carry on and develop the lampshade brief more as I really enjoyed creating designs for a useful product, knowing my designs would be on something practical. I feel I have also had some briefs that have just allowed me to experiment with methods of generating imagery, such as hand drawn typography, that I would not really use as a method of communication. When working on the headline and anorak briefs, I enjoyed the experimentation, but when it came to creating designs to those certain audiences, I feel I lacked focus and this is something I know I need to develop in my design process. Audience and subject are what I feel I need to work on most, as I know I can experiment and I know I like to focus on method, process, materials and techniques, I just need to develop these weaker areas to create a more rounded design practice. I think that I have experimented with a range of methods within my chosen briefs, and have found what I prefer to use to communicate, now it is just a case of using these to fit certain audiences appropriate to a chosen subject.